Fire Prevention

Fire Prevention 2019-04-14T14:22:02-05:00

Smoke Detectors Save Lives!!

  • Test Smoke Detector batteries each month and change them twice a year when you change your clocks
  • Prevention of fire is the job of the entire family.  Everyone should participate in making plans that may save lives
  • Make an Escape Plan – Practice it with your family twice a year
  • Agree on a meeting place and NEVER GO BACK INTO A BURNING BUILDING!!

 Fire Safety Tips – Get Out & Stay Out!

  • Smoke Detectors save lives, install and maintain them
  • Smoking carelessness is a leading cause of fire, do not empty ashtrays into the trash
  • Don’t let children play with matches & lighters
  • Be careful with candles, don’t leave them unattended & never sleep with candles burning
  • Remove electrical cords from under rugs and behind radiators, never nail or staple the cord to walls or molding
  • Don’t overload outlets and extension cords
  • Never put a portable heater near drapes, furniture, bedding or other flammable materials
  • Keep flammable liquids away from heat sources
  • Make & practice home escape plans
  • Always store paint and other flammable substances in their original labeled containers

Facts to Consider:

  • Fire Department in the United States respond to fires every 19 seconds, nearly 2 million fires per year
  • These fires are responsible for 3500 civilian deaths every year
  • Where a Smoke Detector was present & operating, 80% of fires had NO fire related deaths

The Silent Killer – Carbon Monoxide

Carbon Monoxide (CO) is present in low levels in the air, formed from any non-electric flamed fuel device found in the home, including furnaces, stoves, fireplaces, grills and water heaters, but if theses devices are vented properly the Carbon Monoxide will escape.

According to the Journal of American Medical Association, Carbon Monoxide poisoning is the leading cause of accidental poisoning deaths in the United States.  Carbon Monoxide results from the incomplete combustion of fossil fuels, such as natural gas, gasoline, wood, kerosene, propane, and oil.

Things you can do to help prevent the build-up of Carbon Monoxide in your home:

  • Install a Carbon Monoxide Detector, it’s inexpensive and easy!
  • NEVER run a vehicle or generator indoors, even if the garage doors are open
  • NEVER leave your vehicle running when it’s parked in snow
  • Have your furnace, water heaters, stove or other natural gas-burning devices inspected regularly
  • Have your chimneys inspected by a professional
  • NEVER use an oven to heat your home
  • Only use barbeque grills outside, NEVER use them inside your home or garage
  • Open a window slightly whenever using a kerosene or gas heater